Saturday, February 14, 2009

Margarito Suspended

This week we found out that Antonio Margarito has been banned from fighting in the US for one year. He was caught using a plaster-like substance in his gloves but claimed he didn't know anything about it. I find that hard to believe. I was a fan of Margarito for fighting Paul Williams when no one else wanted to and generally taking on all challengers. Now that he has been caught cheating I can't respect him as a fighter anymore. If he cheated against Cotto then he put a great fighter's career at risk for his own personal gain. He should not be allowed to fight anywhere for one year. I hope Cotto gives Mosley a rematch and fights Margarito again when his ban is over so that there is no doubt about the result next time. This kind of thing taints results and hurts the sport of boxing. I hope Margarito understands that and his punishment should make it clear to other fighters that this won't be tolerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment